Also known as blepharoplasty
Eyelid lift surgery can help restore a naturally youthful, refreshed appearance to tired-looking, aging eyes. An eyelid lift is a highly individualized procedure that can address excess skin, smooth wrinkles, reduce puffiness, and correct other signs of aging around the upper and lower eyelids.
Eyelid lift surgery actually encompasses a number of different surgical techniques; which technique Dr. Maningas will use, depends on a patient’s anatomy and the particular changes that need to be made to achieve a patient’s goals. For any given patient, an eyelid lift may include upper eyelid surgery, lower eyelid surgery, or both. During your one on one consultation in Joplin, MO or Pittsburg, KS, Dr. Maningas will discuss which technique will be best for you to achieve your desired outcome.
When To Consider Eyelid Surgery
Our eyelids are home to the thinnest, most delicate skin on our bodies, so it’s no surprise that signs of aging will begin to appear around our eyes earlier than in most other areas. Aging eyelids can affect a person’s appearance in ways beyond just looking older—because so much emotion is expressed with our eyes, sagging, drooping eyelid skin can cause a tired, sad or even angry appearance, even when a person feels great.
Cosmetic eyelid surgery is designed to help counteract these changes and restore a naturally refreshed, youthful appearance to the eyes. The results can be life-enhancing, helping a patient feel more confident in his or her appearance. If others mistakenly perceive you as tired or upset, an eyelid lift can help your eyes more accurately portray your emotions. Also, if sagging eyelid skin is obstructing your ability to see, eyelid surgery can eliminate the problem and allow you to more fully open your eyes. So if you experience the following, eyelid surgery may be a good option for you:
- If you have excess, hanging skin covering the natural fold of the upper eyelids
- If you have loose skin hanging down from the upper eyelids over the eyelashes
- If your upper and lower eyelids appear puffy, making your eyes look tired and aged
- If you have deep grooves under your eyes
Combining Eyelid Surgery with Another Procedure
If you are like many patients, you may want to address aging in a few different areas of your face. While eyelid surgery alone can significantly rejuvenate your appearance, it’s quite common to have a combination of , , facial resurfacing, or mid-face fat transfer in conjunction with an eyelid lift to achieve more comprehensive facial rejuvenation.
Who is a Good Candidate?
- Women and Men
- Age 30 to 65 (or older if you are healthy)
- Generally in good health
- Desires cosmetic improvement in facial features
Recovery & Downtime
Most patients feel well enough to make short trips (do not drive yourself until your cosmetic surgeon gives you clearance to do so) after about a week, and return to their jobs 10-14 days after an eyelid lift.
It’s always important to follow your cosmetic surgeon’s instructions after any procedure, and after eyelid surgery you will have to make a few special, but relatively simple modifications to ensure your newly rejuvenated eyelids heal optimally.
• Expect your eyes to get tired more quickly than usual for the first few weeks, and it’s important to let them rest as needed. If your job requires you constantly to be at a computer, consider resuming work part-time initially, then gradually increasing your workload as you continue to recover.
• You must protect your eyes from the sun and wind. Wear dark sunglasses with frames that provide plenty of coverage whenever you go outdoors, and follow your instructions about applying sunscreen after eyelid surgery.
• You will have to avoid lifting, straining, and bending down to pick things up for up to 4 weeks after eyelid surgery. This can be an inconvenient restriction, but it is crucial that you do not induce sudden increases in blood pressure until your incisions have healed adequately.
With a healthy lifestyle and good skincare habits, the results of cosmetic eyelid surgery should last for years. With the excess, sagging skin gone, your eyes will always look better refreshed and more youthful than they would have without an eyelid lift. Likewise, if you have lower eyelid surgery, those puffy eye bags will be gone. While nothing can stop the normal aging process, your results will age naturally with you.
You can keep your eyes looking more youthful by wearing sunscreen daily, becoming or remaining a non-smoker, and practicing good nutrition and health habits. Non-surgical treatments, such as Botox or filler injections or skin resurfacing, can also help you touch up your youthful appearance by smoothing wrinkles around the face and eyes. Dr. Maningas and our excellent aestheticians can recommend the treatment options that will best meet your needs.
How Much Does It Cost?
The price of Eyelid surgery at Maningas Cosmetic Surgery begins at $3,750 and can vary depending on which procedure or combination of procedures you need. Our all-inclusive quote covers the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia costs, the facility fee for the operating room, any supplies, materials, your patient care bag and all routine follow-up visits.