Also known as rhytidectomy
A facelift is the most comprehensive approach to treating facial wrinkles and sagging skin caused by aging. Facelift surgery lifts sagging facial tissues, addressing from the level of the cheek bones down, to restore a more naturally youthful facial appearance. It is often said that having a facelift works to “turn back the clock,” helping a patient look like a younger version of him or herself. By removing excess, sagging skin, smoothing deep folds, and lifting and tightening the deep facial tissues, facelift surgery can help a patient look not just younger, but simply “better.”
When To Consider A Facelift
As we age, skin begins to lose elasticity, and facial tissues lose volume. Eventually, this results in “jowls” on the lower face, deep wrinkles, and loose skin on the neck. While this is a natural part of growing older, patients who are bothered by these signs of aging may find a facelift to be a good solution. If any of the following describe you, a facelift is an option to consider:
- You feel self-conscious about the way your face & neck look due to sagging skin
- You wear turtlenecks and scarves not because you want to, but because you want to hide your aging neck
- When you see your reflection, you feel that your face makes you look much older than you feel
- You feel that an aging appearance is negatively affecting your career or personal relationships
Following a facelift, patients frequently experience an increase in self-confidence, as their appearance better portrays their healthy, energetic attitude.
Combining Facial Procedures & Neck Contouring
As the face, eyes and neck work together to create a person’s facial appearance, it is common to combine face and neck procedures to achieve a patient’s goals. Doing so helps to ensure a smooth, refined lines and naturally balanced appearance. Below are some of the common procedures that patients choose to accompany their neck contouring surgery:
- Facelift. It is rare that a cosmetic surgeon will perform a facelift without also incorporating some element of neck contouring like neck and jowl liposuction. Combining a facelift and neck lift along with liposuction allows a cosmetic surgeon to address jowling, sagging cheeks, and lax neck tissues in a single procedure.
- Chin augmentation. A skilled, qualified cosmetic surgeon can insert a custom-fit chin implant during a neck liposuction procedure, typically using the same incisions, to refine the neckline and add definition to a weak or receding chin.
- Rhinoplasty. Balanced proportions are key to an attractive face. Reshaping the nose to better fit a patient’s face while also improving the jawline can dramatically enhance this sense of balance.
Who Is a Good Candidate?
- Women and Men
- Ages 50 and older
- Generally in good health
- Desires cosmetic improvement in facial features
Recovery & Downtime
A facelift is a complex procedure requiring exceptional surgical skill, but the recovery process is surprisingly quick for most patients. Patients typically return to normal daily activities after about 2 weeks (strenuous exercise will need to wait about 4 weeks) following a standard facelift. Your cosmetic surgeon will give you detailed instructions for aftercare and returning to activity based on your specific rate of healing.
One of the primary concerns patients have following a facelift is how soon they will look presentable after their procedures, and understandably so – unlike a breast or body procedure, for example, you cannot easily cover the area with clothing. Bruising and swelling are normal after a facelift, and will be at their peak about 2-5 days after surgery. After that, bruising and swelling will gradually get better from day 5-7, and should be difficult to notice after about 10 to 14 days. Even so, many patients feel comfortable going out in public about a week or so after their procedures. During your consultation, Dr. Maningas can advise you about when it is safe to wear camouflage makeup.
You can expect to have some lifting and activity restrictions for 2 weeks or so after you surgery to ensure proper healing. As you ease back into your routine after a facelift, it’s especially important to keep your face protected from the sun. You will be more vulnerable to sunburn for several weeks after surgery, plus staying out of the sun will help scars heal as inconspicuously as possible. Wear a wide-brimmed hat and apply sunscreen regularly.
A facelift is designed to achieve results that not only look natural now, but will also age naturally with you. While nothing can stop the normal aging process, after a facelift you should always look years younger than you would have without the surgery.
However, there are certain things you can do to keep your results looking their best. Maintaining a healthy, stable weight is important as significant weight fluctuations can cause skin to stretch out again. You should also adopt a consistent, quality skin care regimen to keep your skin healthy and protected from unnecessary aging. At Maningas Cosmetic Surgery, our excellent and experienced aestheticians can guide you in creating a skin care regimen specifically suited to your needs.
How Much Does It Cost?
Costs can vary depending on the procedure that your surgeon recommends to meet your desired goals. The price of just a face lift begins at $7,220. At Maningas Cosmetic Surgery, our all-inclusive quote covers the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia costs, the facility fee for the operating room, any supplies, materials, patient care bag and all routine follow-up visits. If you are looking into a full face rejuvenation surgery that consists of a combination of procedures, those typically will begin at $20,000+.